Safari at Zululand Yacht Club

The only wildlife we have seen so far in South Africa are monkeys and mungos!

Our patience is running low! We have been waiting 20 days for immigration to lo let us in. End of next week we start to look for a good weather window and plan to sail to Cape Town if nothing happens.

Securité securité, hippo is moving

Still positive thinking!

Nothing happens! We are still not let in by immigration! We have now been waiting for 2 weeks and starting to dispair. We are furious about this because the country is in level 1, that means that you, as a tourist, can come by plane, car or train, only when you arrive by sea they put up this big fat NO NO sign. We have the OCC club and Peter from Cape Town yacht club that try there best, but nothing so far. We have spoken to our embassy and they answer: ”I don’t know how to call, I don’t have the phone number. We can’t help you” Thank you so much!!! Our Australian friends on PitPony got a very different answer from their embassy: ”Yes of course we will help you this is ridiculous. Phone this lawer, if he can’t help you, nobody can.”

So… here we are, in the hands of a bunch of people and still waiting…

We have decided to give it one more week, maybe two then we sail on. Otherwise all is good, one person is allowed to go to the supermarket so we have been doing that, there is water and electricity on the dock, and our barbeque works perfect! We only miss the gamepark and safari!

A fun thing on VHF today: ”Securité, securité, securité. The hippo has just moved to port side of Pelican Island.” Now I certainly now that we are far from home!

Hippopotamus.
Borrowed picture from internet

Dejá vù

Still at quarantine dock!

Here we are… again! They won’t let us into the country!? We are both negative on the Covid19 test they took the other day. Customs and health have been here, it’s only immigration that puts up a big STOP sign! Whats most frustrating is that they check in yachties in Cape Town, but here i Richards bay they refuse.

The problem is that our group of yachties is very small so they don’t have a specific directive for us. They treat us as cargoships. We are allowed to refuel, change crew, reprovision and then we have to leave. Aaarrrgghhh. This is not what we were told when we left Reunion.

We are in South Africa!

My latest blog post was very confusing, i’m sorry for that. Saying yesterday when I ment thursday, using now meaning friday etc etc. I have no excuse more than that I must been very tired when I wrote it.
Almost there! The wind and waves are a little more kind to us, 24+ knots wind and longer intervall between the waves. We didn’t hit the strong aghullas current until we were pretty close to land so we were pointing more than 30 nm north of Richards Bay, little worried to end up in Durban instead 🙂

All in all it’s been a rolly sail with lots of wind from all directions and strenghts. The weather seems to change rapidly in this area. We are grateful for the help we got from our weather gurus Des Cason and Kelvin Killian. This stretch from Reunion to South Africa has been on our minds for a long time, we have heard so many stories about tough weather and horrendous waves. Thank god we made it! Soon we will meet lions and rhinos in some of the game parks, yippiiee!

Not so charming quarantine dock in Richards Bay

Reunion-South Africa day 9 and 10

October 1 and 2, 2020
Yesterday Johan made this heroic achievement to put our hydrovane rudder in place. We had been a little too lazy and hadn’t mounted the rudder, so Johan had to stand on the swim ladder, with water up to his shoulders, and forced it into place. Well done Johan! Now it’s hard at work, and we are vary greatful for it. It would have been a nightmare to try to handsteer.
Thursday was a nice NNE 8-10 knots, that pushed us slowly forward. During night we experienced more wind and waves. At friday morning we had 27+ winds and the waves are about 3 m high. Now it’s a little bit rolly, but we are fine. Rubicon is doing well in the hard wind and waves.

Position: S28*14 E33*53
DTA: 102 nm

Reunion-South Africa day 7 and 8

September 29 and 30, 2020
When we opened our mailbox on tuesday morning, we got the great news that the predicted bad weather will not meterialise! A weather forecast is always a forecast and everything can happen. Feels good to have experts on land that see things we don’t with our own grib-files. We were told that it should not be a problem to head straight for Richards Bay, yippiee! We had excellent wind from SE 8-14 knots and calm sea.
Wednesday 30: Beautiful sailing. 20 knots of wind from SSE doing 7.5-8 knots! 1.5-2 knots favourable current.
Our autopilot died in the middle of the night! Handsteering during darkness in the morning the lazydays for our Hydrovane was over!

Position: S27’01,540 E37’44,400
DTA: 322 nm

Reunion-South Africa day 5 and 6

September 27 and 28, 2020
All is good. Sunday afternoon the wind died down a little and the sea aswell. Making good speed towards Richards Bay. We are just south west of Madagaskars south tip and have approximately 820 nm left. As the sun went down so did the wind. Flat calm sea gives a really good sleep!
At monday morning we got the news that the predicted weather forecast doesn’t look good. Due to a bad weather system that will probably hit Richards Bay around saturday, sunday (just when we planned to enter the harbour). This sceanario can be very dangerous when we have heavy wind against current, which might create “monster waves”. We decided to turn north instead, into Mozambique channel and Madagaskar. We want to hide from wind and waves a few days. Really nice sailing with good wind and almost flat sea!

Position: S26*46,525 E46*11,062

Reunion-South Africa day 3 and 4

September 25 and 26, 2020
Friday 25th was another calm day with light winds. The direction of wind has shifted from SE to ENE. We sail wing-wing and our average speed during day has been 4.5-5 knots.
Saturday came with a nice NNE wind at about 15-22 knots. We have a counter current at 2 knots (arrghh) that slows us down. Late saturday evening the wind picked up with gusts up to 28+ knots. The sea is starting to get wild, bumping us around! At midnight the current went down to 0,5 knots and we could finally make some speed.
No fishinglines, no fish! All is well onboard and my cinnamon buns tasted delicious!

Position: S26*00,601 E48*13,391
DTA: 879 nm